Monday, November 19, 2012

Blog Assignment #13

Back To the Future     

The first video for this blog that I watched was Back To the Future. Mr. Cosby talks about all the different activities that he does in his 4th grade classroom. My favorite part of this video is the balloon experiment. Mr. Cosby let his kids help design and engineer the balloon so they are all involved and having fun while learning. I thought it was so interesting that he had a camera in the balloon, and they could see the view from the top. I really  liked how Mr. Cosby used this as a way for his students to be creative, and turn an ordinary day at school into something exciting.

My other part of the video that I enjoyed was the experiment with the soda can being crushed. I like how each student got  involved and was able to film themselves doing the experiment and then embed the clip into their blogs. It was great to see the kids get excited and eager to participate, and not just sit there looking bored.  I  thought that was great how Mr. Cosby using video chat  to include Celeste in the class.




A Vision of Students Today  was the second video I watched for this blog assignment. This video was very enlightening of a students point of view. Some of the students were holding up messages, and I felt  like I could  relate to most of what they were saying. Each semester when I go and buy my books,  I feel like I have been taken to the cleaners afterwards. One thing I don't agree with or understand is students who pay for these book, classes, and then don't show up half the time.

From the point of view of a president or dean of a college or university this video is probably a little disturbing. If I was someone in that position I would feel really horrible knowing how much the dean makes, and then see signs being held up about how expensive college is, and how much debt students are graduating with. Many of the messages suggested that no matter what was going on they weren't paying attention in the classroom. I think if some of the teachers would get out of the same repeating lecture, make it more interesting, then some of the students might pay more attention and get more involved.







No comments:

Post a Comment